This is another recent make that has gathering on the bodice - which means no darts to fit. I’m finding this design feature suits my body shape.
I had a couple of mishaps. I absent-mindedly pre-washed this fabric with the hot pink fabric and ended up with pink birds. I washed the fabric in a few drops of bleach (this is probably not very good for the fabric), and managed to get rid of the colour run, but it has also faded parts of the black, so in some areas it is more chocolate-black than black. Oh dear.
I usually sew concealed zips by hand. Singer only seems to make a plastic foot and I’ve been trying to find a metal one. I managed to find one on Ebay, so this is the first time I’ve sewn in a concealed zip with my machine. It worked out fine and looks good.
My mishap came with cutting the long zip to size. I should have lined up the opening to the hem and cut the other end. There was a lot of fiddling to get the zip pull back on after I pulled it completely off the runner. I can’t open the side completely but I’m managing to get this top on and off.
A lot of the detail in this top is lost in the print and black colour. It has tucks (which are sewn on the inside) from the waistline down to the hem. The only adjustment I made to the pattern was to add 1/4 inch to the bodice pieces at the hem and blended it up to the marked waistline. (I’d actually blended it higher up and ended up having to adjust it as it was too much.) The top ‘billows’ from the neck gathers down to the waist, where the tucks brings the shape back in, so it’s quite flattering.
The sleeves are gathered at the sleeve head and the hem. They’re quite full, and more than I was expecting. I left out the sleeve heading as I don’t think it needs more structure. I also left out the sleeve ties at the hem, as I don’t think they need more embellishment.
I did make the tie for the front, although it is difficult to see - it does feel like something is missing from the centre without it. I didn’t follow the pattern instructions for the ties (stitching right sides together and turning out). I just didn’t think I would be able to turn them out - too fiddly. Instead I folded the fabric and stitched on the outside. Perfect.
It’s lovely to add another top to my collection of home-sewn garments. I’m always on the lookout for top patterns. I wasn’t sure about this top after I’d set in the sleeves, but after I’d hemmed it, added the back button and removed all the tacking threads, and tried it on again - I think it does look lovely. I think a pair of red cropped trousers would look excellent with it.