I had in mind to make a casual skirt with a green & white combination. I found a nice green twill which would be great for it. The colour is more a blue-green than a yellow-green. (It doesn’t photograph accurately - it’s a jewel blue-green.) I downloaded the pdf of the Kelly skirt, and I have to admit to being a bit disappointed that the pattern pieces are just rectangles. But, it is aimed at beginners and the instructions are very clear - so it’s not at all intimidating.
The adjustments I made were:
I had quite a few problems with the waistband. I wasn’t too sure about the rectangle waistband, which is designed to sit at the high waist. I much prefer curved waistbands which sits lower.
I somehow ended up with a waistband that was much shorter than the main skirt. I had to attach additional fabric at the ends. I went back & checked that I added the right amount every where, so I’m not sure what happened. The waistband still has a bit too much ease and gapes a bit. I reduced the height of the waistband too, and this helped to reduce some of the gaping.
The further adjustments were:
The skirt does look nice with with the pleats, which gives it shaping. I like how the pleats looks at the back.
I spent some time looking at buttons in my local shop and when I found these flower buttons - I thought it looked perfect for this skirt. I really like green and white combinations. It makes me think of English summers - green lawn and scattered daisies; lawn tennis courts with their white chalk lines.
This will be a great everyday skirt.
I have this old children’s separates pattern, which I bought many years ago to use as the starting point for a series of paintings. I didn’t expect to sew it, as I wasn’t sewing back then - so I’m really glad I kept it.
I used the cotton jersey left over from making my Scarlet Plantain. The technique is exactly the same as for making the Plantain. Sewing to a small scale can be a bit fiddly, but it’s also quick. I normally sew in short spaces of time, so although this could have been made in a sitting, I carried on with sewing at intervals.
I have lots of things like pretty ribbons, hearts and buttons that would have been great for embellishing this t-shirt - but I didn’t have anything suitable for a little boy. So I bought a pack of embroidered motifs which have a summer holiday theme. Very cute. They just iron on with a hot iron.
There are a few designs to this pattern, so it will probably get used again.
I know that people say that making clothes for children doesn’t seem worth the time or effort because they grow out of them very quickly, but there is something nice about gifting a garment to someone’s child, that you’ve made.
I didn’t realise I would enjoy making a simple t-shirt, but it felt great to make myself something that is a basic wardrobe piece.
This is only the second time I’ve made something in a jersey. I made it using an ordinary sewing machine. I used the most shallow zig-zag stitch that would still allow the fabric to stretch.
The adjustments I made were:
I stabilised the shoulder seams with some organza ribbon. The sleeves are inserted in ‘on the flat’, so there is no easing in, making it very simple.
The instructions were very clear and the tone supportive. I want to try more patterns from Deer & Doe.
This Plantain is very comfortable & jersey is very forgiving when it comes to fit. I’d like to make more of these.
I don’t own any skirts in my wardrobe. I gave the few I did have to a charity shop, when I had a big clear out before moving homes.
The design of this skirt is very nice - the pleats go all the way round, and the side pleat half hides the side seams and in-seam pockets.
The adjustments I made were:
I didn’t think until I started working on this pattern - that the pleats would be a bit tricky to keep even, as I needed to alter the waist width to fit me. I worked out from the size chart and the finished garment measurements that there was 1.5 inch of ease at the waist. I worked out that I needed an extra inch at the waist. Dividing this by 4 - I would need an extra 1/4 at each of the side seams.
But, the waist ended up too big. I think the construction & adjustment I made at the stitching line for the side pleats probably contributed to the error.
Anyway, I fixed it by adjusting the back seam where the zip is. I wasn’t happy with the way I’d inserted the zip first time, so I didn’t mind unpicking it, and fixing the sizing at the same time. It means my skirt back doesn’t have even sized pleats at the zip seam, but it looks ok.
The fabric is a cotton poplin. The light weight of this fabric works well with the pleats. It would get a bit bulky otherwise - as the pleats are quite wide. My fabric was not wide enough, so I had to cut on the crosswise grain - which was fine.
It’s good to have more separates and a nice summer basic. What’s extra nice is that this skirt ticks two of my sewing goals in one - make a skirt & something in emerald green.
After making two jackets in a row - I really wanted to make something much simpler and for someone else.
The Rohan hoodie by The Crafty Kitty is a lovely cute pattern that is suitable for a boy or a girl. It is straight forward to make. I used the aged 2 size, which is the smallest. It goes up to aged 6. It’s designed to be loose and to be worn over a top.
I chose a blue fleece fabric which is soft and warm. I used some left over cotton fabric for the hood and front placket. One is of turtles and the other is a paisley pattern. Very sweet.
You could make this in a variety of different fabrics - brush cotton or jersey.
I think the pattern is very adaptable. I think I’d like to add a button placket and pockets and make a coat from it.
It’s so great that some craft bloggers share their patterns and instructions so generously.
I hope these hoodies will get lots of wear & be enjoyed.